Thread: Inside of my front tires are bald and wear down really quick....any ideas why? [PICS]

TPC Member

Inside of my front tires are bald and wear down really quick....any ideas why? [PICS]

Hey guys,
    Like the title says, I notice that the inner ring of my front tires wear out pretty fast, while the rest of the tires don't wear out as quick. About 1.5-2 months back, my front left tire went flat while I was on the highway, and when I got out to change it, I noticed that the inner part of the tire was bald with some wire showing. So I went to a used tire shop and got the tire replaced, and had to get the other front tire replaced too, since it had similar wear with a bit of wire emerging, but hadn't gone flat just yet.

Anyways, when I was waxing my car the other day, I checked my tires again and noticed that again, the inner area of both front tires have pretty much lost all of their tread, while the rest of the tire still have tread on them, and the 2 rears are just fine. I've attached pictures to show this more clearly.

Do you guys have any ideas as to what might be the cause? I'm thinking an alignment may be needed, but could it be something else? I had the 2 front upper control arms replaced in August if it makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!!!

Driver front tire

[URL=http://img20.imageshack.us/i/img00007200911242059.jpg/][/URL

Passenger front tire

Where am i again

Re: Inside of my front tires are bald and wear down really quick....any ideas why? [P

ahh..the joys of an inproper alignment..
    well that looks like a camber issue...is your car lowered?

Re: Inside of my front tires are bald and wear down really quick....any ideas why? [P

alignment for sure....

ALWAYS get an alignment if u lowered ur car...it might feel like ur car's driving straight...but its chewing up the inner wall....

sounds like there's toe in there too if u just replaced them 2 months back and tread's gone.

TPC Member

Hey,
    Yeah, the car was slightly lowered when I bought it recently, but I'm not sure about how much. Here's a recent pic...not sure if you can tell how much it's lowered, but not TOO much.

So should I just get an alignment done? Anything else to check for? I think a bearing may need replacing by now from what I remember.

And subsonic, what do you mean by toe in there? It's my first car, and a lowered one at that, so all this is kinda new to me...

Thanks again guys!

well get it checked out regarding the bearing issue if this is what you were told....

buy new tires before u do the alignment...no point in getting it done with bald tires....

toe in....means the front of the tires are pointing inwards...so for example....assume you're looking at your car from an aerial view (with the front of the car facing up)...this is what a normal car should look like: | are your tires

| |

| |

a car with toe in looks like this:

/ \

| |

if you have toe-in...you're not going to really "feel" the alignment being off....but meanwhile..its chewing off the sh*t outta your tires....

hope this explains it

That hardly looks lowered at all, so the good news is that nearly any shop can do an alignment, you won't have to take it to a special place that can and/or is willing to work on a very low car.

TPC Member

Thanks for the quick responses guys. So I can just go ahead and get an alignment done pretty much anywhere for this and it'll fix the problem right? Do I need to mention anything special for toe-in?

Also, do I really need to buy new tires before hand, or can I worry about that in a couple of months? I don't plan on driving the lude for much longer, maybe this week tops, just didn't want another tire bursting on me. That way, I was thinking of buying some tires during winter when I see a decent deal out there.

Thanks again for all the responses...especially Diddy with your detailed drawing !

Man Made. Woman Broken. Lord Dragon's Avatar

You should probably get your alignment checked out. It appears to be out of whack.

Also, you might discover there is a toe problem - if so, you could be out of luck if the car's been in an accident or something to have bent the frame (worst case) best case, you'd need to replace some control arms.

Yeah just bring it to any shop that has an alignment rack. If your planning on putting the car away in a couple weeks then you should be fine getting the alignment done and buying tires int he spring. PM me if your interested in getting your ailgnment done and your in the York area. My shop has pretty competitive prices in regards to alignment.

The problem is not camber. The problem is to much toe. And I say to much cause the OP doesn't like his tires being worn out.

$60 alignment at Gilmans will fix that.

Others on the other hand like me prefer toe in. / \ and I don't care about tire wear on the prelude.

Im just about the camel toe

Ditto to Diddy. lol
    i lowerd my car almost 2", luckly, i dont any camber or toe wear after 15,000km. I do have slight camber though but i don't have a camber kit, so they cant adjust too much. the rears have noticeable camber, but i dont have enough clearance if my summers are on, to do the washer trick.

In the first pic your tire has a nail in it.

^^ i thnk that's from his repair. lol that's how he found out it's wearing so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by preludedude View Post
    Also, do I really need to buy new tires before hand, or can I worry about that in a couple of months? I don't plan on driving the lude for much longer, maybe this week tops, just didn't want another tire bursting on me. That way, I was thinking of buying some tires during winter when I see a decent deal out there.

Thanks again for all the responses...especially Diddy with your detailed drawing !
    no problem....

if ur storing the lude for the winter....then for now.....what i would do is.....stop driving it....OR if u plan on driving it for the rest of the week....rotate the tires (put the fronts to the back, and vice versa).....and just get the alignment fixed when ur about to put the car back on the road again.....

i'm saying this because its still better to get the alignment done with proper tires....since urs are worn out...the uneven road contact "might" throw off the alignment settings.....and then when time comes for u to put on new tires...its gonna be off....

I had this problem on my civic, car was pulling to the right big time ... plus the tires i had on were used (from a improper lowered car)

Generally toe in will cause outside of the tire to wear out. Toe out will wear inside.

Slight toe in is better for hook up of FWD cars but it sucks for handling. Toe in increases understeer.

Handling is much more better with slight toe out.

I prefer toe set at 0, but if I were to play with it, I’d go with a slight toe out.

That is definitely an alignment issue..

Grant
    Chairperson,
    Toronto Prelude Club
    Black 1995 SR <><

Quote Originally Posted by preludedude View Post
    You can clearly see the inside tire wear in this pic.

Alignment definitely needs to be done

Did anyone else suggest you need to do an alignment? That'll fix your toe problem.

TPC Member

Thanks a lot for all the help guys! I guess I'll probably just store it away and get the alignment done when I put the lude back on the road. I'm trying not to drive it much right now, but I've got one trip to make from Waterloo to Toronto tomorrow, and that'll be it. Should I tell them to set toe to 0 when I get the alignment done, or is that pretty much implied?

Thanks!

where is your shop and how much for an alignment. email me at find_out3@hotmail.com