Thread: it is illegal to repair a car unless if you are....

it is illegal to repair a car unless if you are....

certified licensed mechanic or an a apprentice under a mechanic that has his licence. it is illegal to make money to repair a car if you do not fall into those two... even a apprentice if its not under a licensed mechanic it would be illegal. the ministry of transportation services will NOT provide reimbursement in any means. basically if he steals your parts you cant do anything and cops will not help you

Re: it is illegal to repair a car unless if you are....

ummmm ye...If its your vehicle or a friends and they trust you with the repair then why not? of course only if you know what your doing...if not, then forget it. Now if you want to run a business then you obviously need a license otherwise it would be illegal. Also make sure you license your shop with OG, that way CRA can tax your income

yeah just watch out who you give your car out to

Quote Originally Posted by BLAZEDv3 View Post
    ummmm ye...If its your vehicle or a friends and they trust you with the repair then why not? of course only if you know what your doing...if not, then forget it. Now if you want to run a business then you obviously need a license otherwise it would be illegal. Also make sure you license your shop with OG, that way CRA can tax your income

Good question.. I've been paid once before for car work.

no...highly doubt it..... just like you can get joe blow to do your plumming and two weeks later it floods your house..
    but by getting someone whos licensed doesnt mean you can sue them lol...
    just that they have something to loose i guess..
    you can charge people for fixing their cars if your not an apprentice or a mechanic just that you cant open up a "licensed" repair shop without a licensed mechanic...
    alot of places get around that by saying they do just oil changes.. and tires..

those places MUST have at least 1, certified mechanic which allows everybody else in that shop to make money fixing cars

I dont' think you need anything really.

I think it's just for customer confidence and assurance. IE you're certified by a recongized body which gives me confidence.

So if something is caused by your repair, I can legally chase you down and hold you responsible, as you're a licensed mechanic and it should be within your capability to repair.

If you're not certed, then whose fault is it if something goes wrong? The consumer, as they didn't go to someone licensed.
    97 "SH" - Gone

you NEED a licence in order to maintain/service or repair a car in ontario by law. why do you think we spend 4 years getting it.... why do you think there is a school for that? if anybody can just go start repairing cars for the public i dont think i would even bother going thought 4 years as a apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Honda4242 View Post
    you NEED a licence in order to maintain/service or repair a car in ontario by law. why do you think we spend 4 years getting it.... why do you think there is a school for that? if anybody can just go start repairing cars for the public i dont think i would even bother going thought 4 years as a apprentice
    Oh you're a mech?

where are you working?
    97 "SH" - Gone

I dont understand, are you asking or telling?

If you have a shop, you needs a license.
    Getting paid to work on a car in your own (or their) garage can also come back and bite you.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda4242 View Post
    So there's a certified tech at Mr Lube? At Walmart, Costco?

Even in the owner's manual of my car, it has a DIY guide on changing oil, air filters and tells me the capacities for transmission fluid, coolant, brake fluid etc... and at Crappy tire, they sell car repair manuals to anybody, even if you're not old enough to drive

I don't think automotive repairs is regulated as hard as the ESA is cracking down on electrical work done at home. AFAIK, the only time you need a certified/licensed mechanic is to sign a safety certificate (not meant to be an insult, I mean at the official level) and to train apprentices.

Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    ...AFAIK, the only time you need a certified/licensed mechanic is to sign a safety certificate (not meant to be an insult, I mean at the official level) and to train apprentices.

This is my understanding as well.. One only needs a licence if you need to legally declare a vehicle roadworthy.

Grant
    Chairperson,
    Toronto Prelude Club
    Black 1995 SR <><

You cant have a storefront advertising repairs/maintenance if you do not have a license.

you dont need a license to repair vehicles for profit. but you will need to be registered as a business. a lot of mechanics i know aren't licensed, however licensed mechanics can charge higher rates.

Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    So there's a certified tech at Mr Lube? At Walmart, Costco?
    these guys can only change your tires, and your fluids. Can't do anything beyond that.

So I wouldn't exactly call them techs.
    97 "SH" - Gone

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    these guys can only change your tires, and your fluids. Can't do anything beyond that.

So I wouldn't exactly call them techs.
    OP was saying you need a license to do maintenance... I guess he didn't define what type of maintenance