Thread: Snow Brushes safe on Paint?

Snow Brushes safe on Paint?

I feel bad doing this and it's illegal ...

Whenever there's snow on the Prelude, I only remove the window areas and leave the rest to blow off on the highway.

Anyone here have a snow brush that's safe on the paint? I heard this Sno-Brum is pretty good

(did a search and nothing came up)

Oω κtes des phoques? GreyWyvern's Avatar

Re: Snow Brushes safe on Paint?

Get one of the ones with a soft squeegee, and a scraper for the ice on the windows. Don't use any kind of brush on the paint.

SOHC F22A N/A FTW • Summon The Pyramid • 370,000km club • RAA • • No Bologna • LCHF • Science

Definitely not safe. It's not safe to rub anything on the car really, even more so if it's dirty.

I feel your pain. There is nothing good about snow in your car. Brush it off and scratch it, or let it idle and warm up and melt off which is horrible for the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by E2EK1EL View Post
    I feel bad doing this and it's illegal ...

Whenever there's snow on the Prelude, I only remove the window areas and leave the rest to blow off on the highway.

Anyone here have a snow brush that's safe on the paint? I heard this Sno-Brum is pretty good

(did a search and nothing came up)

Please don't do that, its unsafe and annoying.

lol, i do that all the time..
    and i probably wont ever change that habit as long as i own a car that i care about....

honestly, within the first couple of km's it all blows off anyways... so whats the big deal..
    i can't see why other people would complain about that...

what really bad are those @ssholes who smoke and toss their cigarrette butts out the window with total disregard for other cars around them...

then there's other drivers who are aggressive to begin with who cut infront of you and reduce your braking distance to about 1/8th of what you budgeted for etc...

the list goes on....lol

i just do the windshield, so the wipers can move freely, front windows, and rear licence plate if covered.

they can charge you for not taking it off, but i dont do it lol

A required field called Location is missing or has an invalid value.

Gimmie a break guys; you're not driving show cars. Clean the friggin snow off the car.

Just buy a super soft snow brush (I have one and it works fine).... sure, it's not great for the paint, but it's better than temporarily blinding people behind me, or leaving my brake & turn signals covered.

Give the car a REALLY good wax job prior to winter, and after winter and it'll be fine, and if you don't believe me come have a look at my 10 y/o oem paint.

Clean the car off.. Don't be one of those idiots.

Grant
    Chairperson,
    Toronto Prelude Club
    Black 1995 SR <><

I feel really bad when I leave the car unbrushed from the snow.

When it's a lot, I try to take off as much as I can before hit the paint levels ... still not cool in my books. I'm gonna check for the soft squeegee type of brush you guys recommended this weekend.

Park indoors...?

I saw a asian women (chinese I beleive), scrubbing her car down with a hard bristled brush (no not just pushing snow off her car's body but actually scrubbing it down!). I looked away and walked.

Oh it was a late model sienna and she was scrubbing the side of it (place where snow does not accumulate!)

Oω κtes des phoques? GreyWyvern's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mau108 View Post
    I saw a asian women (chinese I beleive), scrubbing her car down with a hard bristled brush (no not just pushing snow off her car's body but actually scrubbing it down!). I looked away and walked.

Oh it was a late model sienna and she was scrubbing the side of it (place where snow does not accumulate!)
    Maybe she thought it was a horse?

SOHC F22A N/A FTW • Summon The Pyramid • 370,000km club • RAA • • No Bologna • LCHF • Science

TPC Member

Brushes are not safe on your paint.

But you still need to clean your car off. It is so annoying when you are driving on the highway and the snow is blowing off the car in front of you which impairs your view of the road.

CT sells brushes with some that have soft tips at the end of their bristles. They are more expensive than the regular ones. I'm using one of those now.

Or as someone above mentioned, use a squeegee for the windows. That would probably work faster than a brush.
    Michael
    2001 Honda Prelude SE EBP - SOLD! 2007 Acura CSX Type-S TW

Quote Originally Posted by Kri$han View Post
    Gimmie a break guys; you're not driving show cars. Clean the friggin snow off the car.

Just buy a super soft snow brush (I have one and it works fine).... sure, it's not great for the paint, but it's better than temporarily blinding people behind me, or leaving my brake & turn signals covered.

Give the car a REALLY good wax job prior to winter, and after winter and it'll be fine, and if you don't believe me come have a look at my 10 y/o oem paint.
    +1

At home I have a indoor garage, just my work place is outdoor parking.

Quote Originally Posted by DrBob812 View Post
    Definitely not safe. It's not safe to rub anything on the car really, even more so if it's dirty.
    Many, many moons ago. Me and the soon to be Mrs. CowTipper took a drive to Montreal in my three week old 91 Prelude. I don't know WHAT THE HELL CAME OVER HER but as I was filling the tank in Montreal she decided to be nice and wipe the bugs off the hood using the squeegee at the pump.

Phuck I should have left her right then and there.
    Rob aka CowTipper

84 Prelude
    91 Prelude
    01 Prelude

Foremrly: SellingPrelude

My Wife has severely scratched the paint on my last two back cars.

Man Made. Woman Broken.™ Lord Dragon's Avatar

I use my hands to wipe off snow on the car if it's a lot, otherwise I just let it blow off as I drive. There's no one here for me to blind

Quote Originally Posted by CowTipper View Post
    Many, many moons ago. Me and the soon to be Mrs. CowTipper took a drive to Montreal in my three week old 91 Prelude. I don't know WHAT THE HELL CAME OVER HER but as I was filling the tank in Montreal she decided to be nice and wipe the bugs off the hood using the squeegee at the pump.

Phuck I should have left her right then and there.
    hahahaha... think of all the other things she's done that you wouldnt be able to share stories with if you had done so

Quote Originally Posted by trdyaris06 View Post
    fab's the tpc thread serial killer
    Quote Originally Posted by Swirl View Post
    Well after today I've made up my mind on the car... I have to keep it and you can quote me on that !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dragon View Post
    Imma rainbow warrior

Track Days Mileage:

Quote Originally Posted by fgramegna View Post
    hahahaha... think of all the other things she's done that you wouldnt be able to share stories with if you had done so
    True dat...Mrs. CowTipper is one of the smartest, and dumbest people I've ever met
    Rob aka CowTipper

84 Prelude
    91 Prelude
    01 Prelude

Previously BlackShadow Sir S-Spec's Avatar

No. ANything you drag on the paint (even your fingers) will cause fine scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    honnestly..... i love when i see morons who dont clean off the snow they cant see then all of a sudden a huge @$$ snow ball falls onto my windshield and causes me to loose visibility...
    imo... id rather have a car witha few scratches on it then write off my car cuz i couldnt see the road just my 1Cent
    the snow burshes are designed to not scratch the paint.. obviously if the brushes are old and there is dirt under the snow you will damage the paint... you basically scratch it when you remove the snow no matter what you do as your dragging dirt particles across your paint.. but thats just being super anal.. lol.. just wax it before/after winter and those little scratches should be as good as gone... if your that concerened about your paint dont drive inthe winter or park inside ...unfortunately not all have that luxury....but ftr...those snow paddle you have on the top is what most dealers use... they "dont scratch" but as i said anything scratches can try getting hot water and soaking the car down to melt the snow jk
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by DjSrv View Post
    honnestly..... i love when i see morons who dont clean off the snow they cant see then all of a sudden a huge @$$ snow ball falls onto my windshield and causes me to loose visibility...
    imo... id rather have a car witha few scratches on it then write off my car cuz i couldnt see the road just my 1Cent
    the snow burshes are designed to not scratch the paint.. obviously if the brushes are old and there is dirt under the snow you will damage the paint... you basically scratch it when you remove the snow no matter what you do as your dragging dirt particles across your paint.. but thats just being super anal.. lol.. just wax it before/after winter and those little scratches should be as good as gone... if your that concerened about your paint dont drive inthe winter or park inside ...unfortunately not all have that luxury....but ftr...those snow paddle you have on the top is what most dealers use... they "dont scratch" but as i said anything scratches can try getting hot water and soaking the car down to melt the snow jk
    lol
    yes I agree with you except about the part about snow brushes not suppose to scratch paint. I think that is Hooey as a lot of brushes feel pretty hard to me.

YES as much as possible try not to drag huge chunks of snow off the surface of the car. dirt particles underneath will cause swirl marks and fine clear coat scratches. Best to remove layers at a time.

Even better park in sheltered areas as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I dunno man, you know, keeping the paint job on a winter beater is sooo worth risking the safety all those around you, right? All show cars are winter driven AND left outside overnight anyway, so those guys really got a point.

^^lol, honestly this is one of the most ridiculous threads ever.

That and the shake weight one

Quote Originally Posted by kckev99 View Post
    yes I agree with you except about the part about snow brushes not suppose to scratch paint. I think that is Hooey as a lot of brushes feel pretty hard to me.

YES as much as possible try not to drag huge chunks of snow off the surface of the car. dirt particles underneath will cause swirl marks and fine clear coat scratches. Best to remove layers at a time.

Even better park in sheltered areas as much as possible.
    HA ! I welcome snow build up on my car.. when I brush it off the snow cleans off all the salt and dirt and I dont need to wash it ...

Grant
    Chairperson,
    Toronto Prelude Club
    Black 1995 SR <><

went to CT to find a new brush for winter...they were all really hard bristled. any ideas?

Man Made. Woman Broken.™ Lord Dragon's Avatar

are you mooks pressing down on the brushes with all your weight or something?

I brush just enough off of the car to be safe - there's still a thin covering of snow/ice on the car as I drive off. The rest of that chit can fly off when I'm drinking my coffee.

Why not use the squeegee side?

^Prob b/c micro granules embedded in the ice and squeegee rubber end up scraping / embedding in the clear coat or something ridiculously OCD like that!