Thread: HOW TO: Install/Remove Seats, Seat Covers & Heating Elements

...alwayz talked about infamouz's Avatar

HOW TO: Install/Remove Seats, Seat Covers & Heating Elements

READ EVERYTHING BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS MOD.....

DISCLAIMER: Toronto Prelude Club (TPC) and I (infamouz) are not responsible/accountable for any errors, damage, unwanted results that you may come across or experience! DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

CAUTION: When prying with a flat head screwdriver, wrap it up with protective tape to prevent damage

NOTE: Take care not to scratch the seat covers and body

Tools:
    • - 10MM, 12MM, 14MM sockets
    • - Flat head screwdriver
    • - Philips screwdriver
    • - Panel opener (if u want)
    • - Nose pliers
    • - Metal cutter/plier
    • - Butter knife (if u want)
    • - Time and a lot of patience

1. Slide the front seats all the way back and either take out or fold up your front mats to expose the front two bolts. Using a 14MM socket remove these bolts.

2. Slide the front seats all the way to the front to expose the other end of the rails. Some of you might have end covers. Simply use a flat head screwdriver or just pull on it and you’ll see the bolts. Again these are 14MM...remove them.

3. Once all 4 bolts are removed, tilt the seats towards the back and disconnect the wires. Driver side will have 1/2** connectors (seat belt & heated seats**). Passenger side will have 1** (heated seats)

** - Only for Canadian (CDM) Preludes

4. Gently pull the top end of the seat through the door and carefully without damaging any panels or anything.....pull the entire seat out of the car. You should be left with something like this....

5. To remove the bottom portion of the rear seats, you must release two hooks (1 hook located on each side). When you gently pull up the seat, you’ll be exposed to a hook releaser. Gently pull on the knob and push the seat up. Do this for both sides.

6. While pulling out the bottom rear portion, push in the seat buckles through the hole and push down the seat at the same time.

Re: HOW TO: Install/Remove Seats, Seat Covers & Heating Elements

Pull the seat towards you and there you have it. You should have something like this...

Fold down the top portion of the rear seat by either using the key method or going to your trunk and pulling on the black trigger.

Once it’s folded down, on the back end of both sides....remove the clip and pull back the carpet. You’ll be exposed to a bolt. It’s either 10MM or 12MM. Remove both of the bolts and release the metal clip which will then allow you to remove the top portion.

SEAT COVER/HEATING ELEMENT REMOVAL – FRONT SEATS

Remove the recliner lever by using a flat-head screwdriver or a panel opener. Give it some pressure and push it towards the front. It should just pop out.

***DRIVER SIDE*** - Unlike the passenger side, the driver’s seat has a height adjuster (look at pic above). This is the tricky part. Use your hand to pull the knob out a little bit and....using a flat head screwdriver, nose pliers or butter knife....play around with the clip and pop it out of there. DO NOT CUT THIS CLIPPP....YOU WILL NEED IT!!!! (i wasn’t able to take a pic of this because both of my hands were occupied and there was simply no way of getting a focus on that clip). Look at the diagram below and you’ll know....

Each side of the seats would have a plastic trim covering the rails and access to more bolts/screws. This plastic trim is held on by two screws. Use a Philips screw driver to remove them. After removing the screws, simply pull/tug on that trim and it’ll just pop out.

Gently place the seat on its side. Have something underneath it to prevent unwanted damage (scratch, rips, tears, etc.). Now you’ll be exposed to a couple of bolts. Using either a 10mm, 12mm & 14mm, remove the three labelled bolts. I forget the size BUT its two of the three mentioned. The silver bolt in the middle is one size while the other two are another. Do this for both sides.

Once those bolts are removed, you can now separate the bottom seat portion/seat cushion from the rails. Flip the seat cushion upside-down and you’ll see a couple of white hooks. Release the labelled hooks first and pull the cover back to expose more hooks and clips.

Follow the pattern: PURPLE --> RED --> YELLOW to remove the other hooks and clips. The order would provide more slack for the other hooks so they can be removed much easier. To remove the copper clips, either use a plier of some sort to stretch them out or a metal cutter to release them. You can use wire-ties for them later during re-installation.

Once all the hooks and clips are released, pull back on the edge of the seat cushion cover all the way around and you’ll be exposed to more copper clips (FML!). These clips are an ass....it’s just better to cut them into pieces rather than taking your time to stretch them out. Like i mentioned above....you can use wire-ties during re-installation.

***BEWARE***: One of the clips (labelled blue) is not a copper clip. It’s basically a long metal piece running from one side to the other to give it the “crease” in the seat for looks.

- There are 12 copper clips in total for the seat cushion (look below). If you’re just taking out or re-installing new heating elements don’t worry about the two copper clips all the way at the back (red dots with black outline in last pic below)

- If you’re changing the seat covers then you must remove ALL OF THEM.

- Red dots --> Copper clips
    - Tiny black dots --> mini plastic clip/thread (holds the heating element to the cushion)
    - Blue line --> Metal piece for "crease"
    - Yellow area --> Heating elements

OBSERVE THE PIC ABOVE CAREFULLY. Now you will be exposed to the heating element. These heating elements are attached to the cushion with mini plastic clips/thread. Just pull on the heating element and it’ll pop right out.

DO NOT REMOVE THE SEAT COVER HALF WAY AND TRY PULLING OUT THE HEATING ELEMENT (cuz you’re too lazy or whatever)!!!!! The middle silver metal piece prevents the top portion of the heating element from sliding down. Therefore, pulling on it may cause it to rip or cause some kinda shortage....eventually damaging it.

SEAT-BACK PORTION

1. You don’t have to release this portion from the rails. Lay the seat down (with the back side facing up). Release the hook from the bottom. It’s kind of hard but i found it better if you started to pull on the end opposite of the zipper and slide you’re finger across to the other end. The end of the zipper is tucked inside. Pull it out with your finger and unzip the cover all the way.

2. Pull back and up of the seat cover. If you’re gonna change or install heating elements. Just slide your hand in and pull on the heating element to remove it. Do the same for reinstallation. Unlike the seat cushion, there are no copper clips.

3. If you’re gonna change covers, remove the headrest, headrest guide (must remove 1 screw) and then remove the entire cover. (Don’t have pics...since i didn’t remove my covers...but i’ll update it with pics later on if i know someone doing this)

REAR SEAT COVER REMOVAL

There was no need for me to take apart the rear seats. But if there's anyone who's interested....here you go

ENJOY!!!....Certain pictures will be updated/added in the future....

SOME PICS FROM THE INSTALL: (Retrofitted JDM Type-S seats with CDM Heating Elements)

Last edited by infamouz; 01-30-2013 at 10:50 PM.

TPC Member

Wow great write up! FAQ !

Previously BlackShadow Sir S-Spec's Avatar

That's a neat idea. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Type-SR View Post
    Wow great write up! FAQ !
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackShadow View Post
    That's a neat idea. I like it.
    Yeah...sure indeed!

A required field called Location is missing or has an invalid value.

FAQ me this is great work

Thanks SO much for this, dude! I was totally confused on how to take apart the handles from the seat, but it seems pretty straight-forward now that I see it. Thanks again.

Mods, please FAQ this!

Edit: The Honda replacement part is $284.15 +tax!!! @ Mississauga Honda ahhh

Quote Originally Posted by Kri$han View Post
    FAQ me this is great work

Thanks SO much for this, dude! I was totally confused on how to take apart the handles from the seat, but it seems pretty straight-forward now that I see it. Thanks again.

Mods, please FAQ this!

Edit: The Honda replacement part is $284.15 +tax!!! @ Mississauga Honda ahhh
    Thanks and no prob man! It's straight forward but requires a lot of time and patience to be honest. If you need any further help...let me know and i'll try my best to help you out.

About the replacement part: Wait till someone's parting out the lude...and buy it from them. I'm pretty sure you can get a whole set (F & R seats) for less than $200. Or just go to scrap yard and get it from there

Very nice writeup, surely will come handy at some point.
    Thank you,

That's probably the best write-up I've ever seen.

Well done !!

Quote Originally Posted by Yury View Post
    Very nice writeup, surely will come handy at some point.
    Thank you,
    No problemo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lude Awakening View Post
    That's probably the best write-up I've ever seen.

Well done !!
    Thanks bro...means alot! did try my best. Spent nuff time on photoshop to edit things.

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! awesumz infamouz ;]

Quote Originally Posted by iLIKETURTLES View Post
    wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! awesumz infamouz ;]
    haha thanks turtles!