Thread: 1989 honda prelude?

1989 honda prelude?

is a 1989 honda prelude with 174x km's with the timing belt, water pump, battery changed, rust thats not even visible yet worth it for 1900?

TPC Member

Re: 1989 honda prelude?

Thats low km's for such an old car. Usually people only get this car because they love it. So if you really love this year and model then yes it would be worth it, but I would say more like $800-1500

Imo $1900 is a lil much for 89 with 174xxx no matter the condition really.
    Good luck either way

so what about trading a 1999 honda civic sedan (5speed) with 183xx km's on it for the prelude. is that make more sense? and no the timing belt and water pump were not changed on the civic

TPC Member

Will it be used as a daily driver? If so then I wouldn't trade, if as a project car then yes.

ya i wanted to use it as a daily… why wouldn't you? i just really like the old gen style and wouldn't mind driving one. why is it a bad idea?

coming from someone that knows the 3rd gens, they are fun to drive, slow compared to todays standards and parts are getting scarce. funny thing about sporty coupes of that era, they are worth more than the equivalents of cars 5 yrs newer. an 89 90 lude will almost always be worth more than a 93 94. all the 3rd gens i have seen for sale in the past year, worth having have been around the 2g mark. obviously there are pos for 600 and mint for 3500. good deal, maybe not but in line with others asking prices. my only question though is you refer to the rust thats not visible, hows that.
    The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing

okay so i talked to him and he's offering to trade his prelude for my civic AND $250 cash on his end. does that make it a better deal? and it was very, very small like the size of a penny you could barely notice it. clean body

TPC Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saason.Ez View Post
    ya i wanted to use it as a daily… why wouldn't you? i just really like the old gen style and wouldn't mind driving one. why is it a bad idea?
    As much as they are awesome cars to drive, at that age and km's other things will go. Before I crashed my daily which was a 1991, I had to replace the radiator, break booster, ball joints, brake calipers and exhaust piping. Also remember you have to pass emissions too still.

Is this the Black on Tan Prelude that was up on kijiji a while back? If so, I did take a look at this car a few weeks ago. It has been painted before. Both rear quarters have had work done at some point. I too am looking for another 3rd gen. What can I say...I have a problem. lol.

If you are looking for a daily driver I would stay away. Most suspension bushing will need to be replaced. The rear swaybar links are broken. The exhaust manifold gaskets will need to be replaced as they are leaking. It needs a valve lash adjustment. Overall the car is in okay shape but it does need work. One thing it has going for it is mint interior. If you are looking for something to build over a period of time this is the car for you as it can be very nice with time and money.

I would have picked this up but the owner and I did not see eye to eye on the value of the car.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 89lowlude View Post
    Is this the Black on Tan Prelude that was up on kijiji a while back? If so, I did take a look at this car a few weeks ago. It has been painted before. Both rear quarters have had work done at some point. I too am looking for another 3rd gen. What can I say...I have a problem. lol.

If you are looking for a daily driver I would stay away. Most suspension bushing will need to be replaced. The rear swaybar links are broken. The exhaust manifold gaskets will need to be replaced as they are leaking. It needs a valve lash adjustment. Overall the car is in okay shape but it does need work. One thing it has going for it is mint interior. If you are looking for something to build over a period of time this is the car for you as it can be very nice with time and money.

I would have picked this up but the owner and I did not see eye to eye on the value of the car.

Good luck.
    thank you but how did you determine it had all those problems? are you saying it will have all those problems soon…. or it currently does have those problems and would need to be addressed if i get the car?

I simply started it and took a look under the car. The exhaust leak is very noticable as well as the need for a valve lash adjustment.

Did you test drive the car?

Quote Originally Posted by 89lowlude View Post
    I simply started it and took a look under the car. The exhaust leak is very noticable as well as the need for a valve lash adjustment.

Did you test drive the car?
    So for all the suspension parts and the valve lash and the exhaust leak how much would I be potentially looking to spend to fix all those parts to get it in good shape. I wanna know now how much it is because if it's too high il stay away. And I just drove it around his area didn't really get to go on the streets Because it wasn't plated. Out of curiosity how much did you offer him that you guys didn't see eye to eye to if you don't mind me asking

I offered $1750 but I was being very generous. Good luck.

Saason.Ez, you gotta really want the 3rd gen specifically to buy it. If you are a realist, then you will be ok owning a car that is 25 years old.

If you want a daily driver with limited issues, stick with your civic.

P.S. Black on tan eh ? 89 Si....