Thread: Should I ventilate my garage?

Should I ventilate my garage?

My garage gets really hot and humid. More so than outside and it's really unbearable sometimes. I was thinking of a way to ventilate it, but would that be a wise idea? The garage is attached to the front of the house but there are no rooms above it.

I'm thinking that a vented garage might get too cold in the winter and cause my house to be colder? Not sure though. There's a single pane window in the garage but it doesn't open as it's a solid pane..maybe changing that to a window that opens is the answer.

Re: Should I ventilate my garage?

put lil windows in ur garage door .. my cuzin did it.. the fit right into the garage door panels.. they were the sliding kind.. and he also put two windows on the side of the garage, so the air cud circulate..

do you have rodent problems?

No. There were mice in the garage before when I used to leave garbage bags out there...but no more....now I have a locking garbage bin for the garage.

Insulation & ventilation is never a bad idea. If it's just the summer you're worried about the best thing to do is add a window. Cutting holes in the roof to ventilate will only allow whatever heat that builds up in there to escape, you would need to insulate as well. What about an exhaust fan that is triggered by a thermostat?

yeah I was thinking exhaust fan at first. Not the thermostat though, just a manual swtich but maybe a thermostat/timer combo could work. I think my preference is natural ventilation over any forced venting but anything is possible. I don't want to insulate cuz I like having the roof open for storage.

Where oh where is Poldoor when you need them?

Call Mike Holmes, tell him Poldoor made a mess of your house...

Is that Holmes on Homes?

How about you just open the main door for a while? I dunno about your garage.. but in mine that about the same as removing a wall... Lots of ventilation happening when you only have 3 walls..

Grant
    Chairperson,
    Toronto Prelude Club
    Black 1995 SR <><

Yeah that's fine for when the garage is open, but it would be nice to have it like that without having to open the door as well

Like Grant said its probably best that you just leave the garage door open a slight amount. In reality your not suppose to be cutting holes in the roof of your garage its a safety write up for gases to get thru. Provided you do not have a room above the garage you can make a vent however it wont provide much circulation and in the winter like you mentioned it will be cold or can cause Ice Damming. Garage's are not built to be livable spaces they are built for storage and are to be sealed tightly from letting any gases into the home.

Well I've also read that usually the pressure inside your garage is higher than the pressure inside your home so that means when you open the door to your house from the garage everything just goes into the house. If I had some kinda vent system then that wouldn't happen cuz I could negate the positive pressure right?

I never use my front door, I get out of the car and enter my home through the door in the garage that leads into the house. I exit through the garage 99.9% of the time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SlntSam
    Well I've also read that usually the pressure inside your garage is higher than the pressure inside your home so that means when you open the door to your house from the garage everything just goes into the house. If I had some kinda vent system then that wouldn't happen cuz I could negate the positive pressure right?

I never use my front door, I get out of the car and enter my home through the door in the garage that leads into the house. I exit through the garage 99.9% of the time as well.
    The pressure that comes into the home from the garage isnt gonna do anything and the door to the home from the garage should be a self closing door, If it isnt a self closing door I suggest you buy a self-closing device for the door. Opening the main garage door will exert the pressure aswell when you're entering the garage from outside.

Go with a fan and vent on a switch. Done it for a customer who works on their cars alot and he loves it. Just used a bathroom fan (strongest one we could find) and vented it through the soffit but you can go through the roof. That way if you want you can plug the vent with insul. in the winter if it gets cold. Also allows for gas removal if you run the car in winter or when the doors are closed.

yeah it's self closing cuz that's the law. Plus after the mice incident my wife thinks that mice will come into the house from the garage so she's REALLY careful about making sure that door is closed "toite"

Anyhow you gotta feel the air in the garage..it's crazy I tell ya! I will investigate replacing the window with something that opens..but only if it's cheap to do.

I've also asked this question of Carson Dunlop and await their answer.

Quote Originally Posted by bgm93srv
    Go with a fan and vent on a switch. Done it for a customer who works on their cars alot and he loves it. Just used a bathroom fan (strongest one we could find) and vented it through the soffit but you can go through the roof. That way if you want you can plug the vent with insul. in the winter if it gets cold. Also allows for gas removal if you run the car in winter or when the doors are closed.
    Provided its installed right that can work but it might be a write up for inspection. Becareful with Carson and Dunlop, if they've inspected that house before they'll fly through the inspection and just recite what they've done on the previous inspection for that home even though the house may have some new defiencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stylez00
    Provided its installed right that can work but it might be a write up for inspection.
    If I do it will you tell on me?

I'm not sure if I want something electric, I just wanted a bit of relief from the crazy humidity in the garage. I can't even store things like grass seed in there cuz it's too damn humid in there.

Maybe you should sh!t can that hydroponic lab that you have in there, the mould from all that weed you grow will make you sick!

Quote Originally Posted by SlntSam
    If I do it will you tell on me?

I'm not sure if I want something electric, I just wanted a bit of relief from the crazy humidity in the garage. I can't even store things like grass seed in there cuz it's too damn humid in there.

Lol I wont tell on yah. Im not doing the inspection so there is no need for me to tell. Just giving you advanced warning though that in the future when you try to sell your house and the buyer gets an inspector depending on if he/she knows what he's/she's doing he/she may write you up on that. Its not critical but it may be noted.

Gary K

Same with my Garage but Great Gulf sucks when it comes to building houses so bascally my garage is always ventilated

Quote Originally Posted by GaryK
    Same with my Garage but Great Gulf sucks when it comes to building houses so bascally my garage is always ventilated
    what problems are you having with your Great Gulf home if you don't mind me asking?...and how old is it?...the reason i ask, is because i just purchased one in a new development (will be done in about a year) and i have heard nothing but good things about them.

Here's what Carson Dunlop says about the situation.

Given the age of your home, it is likely that the wall between the garage and the house is insulated just as well as the other exterior walls of the house. Therefore, we wouldn't be concerned about garage ventilation causing the house to be colder.

Ventilation should help to reduce the temperature in the garage somewhat, but just one vent may not be enough to notice a difference. Ideally, you should have at least one vent to allow air into the garage and one vent to allow air out of the garage. A rooftop vent should work well to keep air moving out, but there should also be a provision for air to enter. There may already be open ventilated soffits on either side of the garage; these would work well. Unfortunately, ventilation will only help to remove hot air from the garage. There is a better approach which will probably be more effective.

A significant amount of heat that you are feeling is due to the hot roof surface radiating heat down onto you and the contents of the garage and heating everything up. Ventilation will do absolutely nothing to stop radiant heat. Instead, a radiant barrier should be installed. The link below explains more, but this is effectively a sheet of aluminum foil that radiated heat back to the roof and away from the interior of the garage. This can be attached to the roof trusses just below the roof sheathing.

With the radiant barrier in place, you and the contents of the garage (including the floor and walls) will be spared most of the radiant heat transfer and will feel cooler. And since all of the surfaces in the garage will be cooler, the air (which was being warmed by the hot surfaces) will be cooler as well, with no need for ventilation.

That makes sense...how does that radiant heat being reflected back to the roof affect the shingling and sheathing membrane? Will it do any damage having the heat hit it from both sides? Will it sacrifice the lifespan on the roof membrane? I dont think it will cause the sun is only directly hitting it from one side but these are things that may be questioned.

Its always good just to research these kinda things before jumping into a project than to find out that it'll have a bigger affect on something else.

looked at the ceiling in my garage today. Too much work to line the whole thing with aluminum foil just to keep it a few degrees cooler.

Gary K

No no not all dude

Actually the house is great and the prices are great. But we have had to many problems. They had to replace the whole kitchen ceiling because the cha-cusy(how ever you spell it) water pipes burst open. And both of the staircases squeek really badly. And you have to pay for every single upgrade. Our house is around 3100 sq feet ad we got it for 290,000. After upgrades it come out to be 345,000.

But my advice would be if anything goes wrong call them right away. DO not wait, becuase they take alot of time to get back to you. But they are really nice poeple to deal with and the house designs are kikass. What model did you get, we got the Balsam.

Oh yea dont not forget to SCREW the floor boards in before they do the flooring or carpeting. These guys use really really crappy nails.

No no not all dude

Actually the house is great and the prices are great. But we have had to many problems. They had to replace the whole kitchen ceiling because the cha-cusy(how ever you spell it) water pipes burst open. And both of the staircases squeek really badly. And you have to pay for every single upgrade. Our house is around 3100 sq feet ad we got it for 290,000. After upgrades it come out to be 345,000.

But my advice would be if anything goes wrong call them right away. DO not wait, becuase they take alot of time to get back to you. But they are really nice poeple to deal with and the house designs are kikass. What model did you get, we got the Balsam.

Oh yea dont not forget to SCREW the floor boards in before they do the flooring or carpeting. These guys use really really crappy nails.
    wow, that's an excellent price for that size house!...what area are you in?

we bought in Stouffville...9th line and MainStreet...our house is called the Duffin, 1610 sq feet....so far our experience has been great with the sales staff and those at the decor center...hopefully it's the same after the house closes.

but about the floors, it says they screw them down, they're not nailed.

Gary K

I live in Springdale (Sandalwood and Bramlea). We bought the house around 3 years ago.

But honestly even if they say they use screws, you should still go and check it out. Because even if they use screws, most of the time they do a really crappy job. And the peace of mind you get from knowing your floors wont squeek in a couple of years is priceless. Some of the screws for our floor boards were almost 2 feet apart. Just make sure the security dude doesnt catch you .

But honestly I dont like this area, I miss my old neighbhor hood, the houses were small but they felt more cozier. And all my friends lived there. I guess is normal to miss the area you spent your childhood in

but yea Congrats on the new purchase, did you choose your colors yet?

Insulate the roof.

The heat from the shingles comes through to the inside. Same reason my appartment is so hot in summer and cold in winter.

Congrats on the new purchase, did you choose your colors yet?
    thanks...and not yet, they still haven't broken ground yet, not till September.

i'll look into the screw thing too...thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsh
    Insulate the roof.

The heat from the shingles comes through to the inside. Same reason my appartment is so hot in summer and cold in winter.
    you live in someone's garage?

No I live in a 2nd floor apartment of a 100 year old house with no insulation.