Thread: won't go into gear? what's wrong?

won't go into gear? what's wrong?

my friend 5th gen wont go into gear, sometimes it does and most of the time it doesn't. We can turn on the car, but she can never go into gear. Another sign of telling that the gear won't work is when he dump the clutch and the RPM drops really slowly. What could be wrong? is it the clutch? it felt perfectly fine by the way..

Re: won't go into gear? what's wrong?

if the car is running and you cant put it in gear, could be the clutch or pressure plate, but before doing that, check how much fluid you have in your clutch reserviour, also check the slave cylinder(front of tranny) and and master clutch sylinder (driver side firewall engine bay beside brake master) for any leaks, if you see leaks replace them, and bleed the system.

The clutch master cyclinder went and was replaced about 3 weeks ago. I have no clue about the slave cylinder. The fluid is still full. The car won't go into gear from the start too, not just when driving.

It is most probably the clutch itself. Could also be air pockets in the hydraulic clutch system, but likely not.

when u say the car wont go into gear at all... do you mean:

you ARE able to shift in all 5 gears and the reverse gear, BUT the car will not move

you are unable to shift what-so-ever in all 5 gears and the reverse gear, DUE to grinding

i wasn't able to shift into the gear slot before, using alot of effort there was a little grinding. The clutch pedal was a little soft too.

my buddy told me that it was the transmission fluid. check the owner's manual to find the reservoir and required fluid level.

I topped it up, use standard brake fluid available anywhere for $5. I needed to top it up once again after a few km's but never again and seems normal for a year now. I think i may have been burnt off a bit trying to start up at a stop light on a steep hill in 3rd instead of 1st. whoops.

at this point it can be anything...
    detent mechanism, shift forks, pressure plate assemby, synchronizers, release fork, main shaft, friction disk...

can you put it into all gears when it's off?
    97 "SH" - Gone

who replaced the master cylinder? On the cylinder there is a shaft that attaches to the pedel assembly, when you press the pedel the shaft allows/pushes the fluid throw and down to your slave and then down to your trans. this shaft has a nut on it that allows for some play in tension. to me it sounds like it might have not been tightened enough for the clutch to disinguage fully.

this can be why your pedel feels soft.
    also try bleeding the system just incase its air.

Hopfully its a simple fix and not a trans problem,,,

Goodluck

Cheers

the pic below is of a master cylinder the nut is on the left had side.

Just a thought, normally the slave and master cyl's go around the same time. Did you only replace the master?

the master cyclinder was replaced only. When the car is off, she won't go into gear either. Forcing it will not work.

Quote Originally Posted by 96lude_srv
    the master cyclinder was replaced only. When the car is off, she won't go into gear either. Forcing it will not work.
    ok then it is definitly your shift mechanism. it must be taken out to be looked at. it could possibly be the shift lever, ball socket, shift fork, shift fork shaft...