Thread: TD Auto Club VS CAA Plus

TPC Member

TD Auto Club VS CAA Plus

I just signed up for a TD chequing account and got a free TD Gold Elite VISA (min balance $5k). I wanted the Ipod Nano so for free so I sprung for the VISA.

Anyways, it seems that this VISA comes with a TD Auto Club membership for free. Anyone have any experience with it? I have a CAA Plus membership right now that's soon going to expire. Not sure which I should choose.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/p...ad.php?t=90069

Opinions??
    Jerry - YT Vids

Re: TD Auto Club VS CAA Plus

Didn't the FSR give you a brochure or actually do a comparison with you....lazy bastard...I'll try and get you more info when I'm in the office tomorrow. Since it comes with the auto club for free why pay for the CAA Plus membership. I'm not too familiar with the CAA Plus but this is what you get at TD.

Deluxe TD Auto Club Membership (included free with the TD Gold Elite Visa Card)

Emergency Road Services: All the benefits of the Standard Plan plus traffic accident towing, emergency transportation car rental, emergency accommodation and meals, hazardous weather services, and many other features

Standard TD Auto Club Membership

Emergency Road Services: roadside assistance 24 hours a day, seven days a week, towing up to 20 km, battery boosts, flat tire changes, fuel delivery, extrication/winch service and lock-out assistance and breakdown towing.

i got my nano and sold it already

planning on using the 7500 travel points in sept...
    btw Peter, do u know if td travel rewards centre has ok deals?
    i've heard that they use the Sabre back-end, which is supposed to be what travelocity and expedia also use...
    so in that case, then the quotes should be competitive, right? do you have any first hand experiences to share?

sorry for warping ur thread jerry

I'm with canadian tire auto club and thise thing has paid for itself for sure. Just check the towing distance, and other features to make the choice.

TPC Member

Rusty, so you go the travel rewards gold card huh? Ya I figured I already have a couple of travel rewards cards so I didn't want another one. The 1% cashback thing with the Elite card is pretty good too if you buy alot of stuff (which I don't).

Anyways, Peter, ya I read the brochure, I was more wondering on the actual usage side. Is it the same as CAA? Response time is good, coverage is comperable? Tow distance is 200km BTW. Also have you had any experience ordering the driving directions/maps? I like CAA cuz they give you a TripTix and you can get a map of the place AND get a TourBook of wherever you're going. Really liked that feature when I want to Vancouver. Have any experience with TD Auto with that?
    Jerry - YT Vids

Quote Originally Posted by clumzy
    I was more wondering on the actual usage side. Is it the same as CAA? Response time is good, coverage is comperable? Tow distance is 200km BTW. Also have you had any experience ordering the driving directions/maps? I like CAA cuz they give you a TripTix and you can get a map of the place AND get a TourBook of wherever you're going. Really liked that feature when I want to Vancouver. Have any experience with TD Auto with that?
    To be honest I've never had any use for it. When I bough my Mazda 3, I got their auto club thing free for 5 years. So only thing I have to tell you is from our customer feedback. Coverage is comparable to CAA. Client got stuck in a snowstorm with a flat. Called Auto club and they were there within 15-20 minutes(customer estimate). You can order (free) the maps by calling 1-800-265-1289, and I believe they deliver it to your home. Call the # and I'm sure they can do a side by side comparison of the CAA Plus membership for you.

Quote Originally Posted by aZnRYcEbOi
    i got my nano and sold it already

planning on using the 7500 travel points in sept...
    btw Peter, do u know if td travel rewards centre has ok deals?
    i've heard that they use the Sabre back-end, which is supposed to be what travelocity and expedia also use...
    so in that case, then the quotes should be competitive, right? do you have any first hand experiences to share?

sorry for warping ur thread jerry
    Here you go Rusty.

https://www.tdtravelrewards.com/english_new/common/

Cardholders may choose to have a TD travel agent research their travel plans, or they can search their travel plans and/or book online directly through the universal booking tool, called Sabre. TD Points can be redeemed via either method and a TD Visa Travel Rewards agent is always available to answer any questions.

Exploring online: Via the Sabre universal booking tool, cardholders can search their travel options BEFORE submitting a booking on this TD Visa Travel Rewards website.

Travel Enquiries: Cardholders can complete a travel requirements form asking our TD Travel Agents to research their selections. They are contacted within 2 business days with the results of the search either by email or telephone. Its a convenient way to obtain detailed information on vacation options and destinations.

Rusty, so you go the travel rewards gold card huh? Ya I figured I already have a couple of travel rewards cards so I didn't want another one. The 1% cashback thing with the Elite card is pretty good too if you buy alot of stuff (which I don't).

Anyways, Peter, ya I read the brochure, I was more wondering on the actual usage side. Is it the same as CAA? Response time is good, coverage is comperable? Tow distance is 200km BTW. Also have you had any experience ordering the driving directions/maps? I like CAA cuz they give you a TripTix and you can get a map of the place AND get a TourBook of wherever you're going. Really liked that feature when I want to Vancouver. Have any experience with TD Auto with that?
    jerry, if you want 1% cash back, you should get the no-fee citibank enrich card...

so then you can cancel the TD visa, and then downgrade your chequing from select service, so u don't need to tie up 5k in there....the next level down is 2k and inclues like 15 transactions i believe...

i'm gonne keep using the gold travel card though, since i want to use the free 7500 points...that bonus was worth $112

Quote Originally Posted by Greek_93Luder
    Here you go Rusty.

https://www.tdtravelrewards.com/english_new/common/

Cardholders may choose to have a TD travel agent research their travel plans, or they can search their travel plans and/or book online directly through the universal booking tool, called Sabre. TD Points can be redeemed via either method and a TD Visa Travel Rewards agent is always available to answer any questions.

Exploring online: Via the Sabre universal booking tool, cardholders can search their travel options BEFORE submitting a booking on this TD Visa Travel Rewards website.

Travel Enquiries: Cardholders can complete a travel requirements form asking our TD Travel Agents to research their selections. They are contacted within 2 business days with the results of the search either by email or telephone. Its a convenient way to obtain detailed information on vacation options and destinations.
    Awesome...thanks!! i'll try it out

i just did a quick pricing..

buffalo to ft. lauderdale
    september 16 - september 23
    round trip

on northwest airline, connecting flight in detroit

travelocity = $191 cad tax included
    TD travel rewards via Sabre = $184 cad tax included

this is f!ing awesome! and i can use my points worth $112...hahahhahaha

TPC Member

Meh, I've never had a gold card before so I think I'm gonna hold onto it for a year. $5k min balance isn't that bad. I've done worse. I think if I were to go for a lesser balance account I'd do the lowest with ~5 transactions with a min $1500.

Are there any blackouts for that TD saber thing?
    Jerry - YT Vids

no blackouts

Meh, I've never had a gold card before so I think I'm gonna hold onto it for a year. $5k min balance isn't that bad. I've done worse. I think if I were to go for a lesser balance account I'd do the lowest with ~5 transactions with a min $1500.

also consider a platinum citi mastercard...it's also no annual fee...and has more benefits than a gold card...
    the drivers edge version gives you 2% back, towards any car purchase

and yup, no blackouts. in the quote i did, the flights that came up on my travelocity search were the exact ones that came up in the tdtravelrewards search.